Sunday 5 February 2012

G.U.I.L.T. - what is it good for?


quick disclaimer: This is not my husband nor does he dress up like this. Ever. I hope.
Because there is just not enough parenting books in the world of late, another couple have been published that specifically focus on the French style of bringing up kids. Yep the country that brought us champagne, smelly cheese and a put down look with the flick of the eyes also apparently has this parenting thing sewn up.

I for one gave up on parenting books when I found out the so called guru of them all "Miss Control Crying" Gina Ford had no kids. Hilarious but true. However from reading a couple of reviews and summaries of the books, one clear thing stands out. French women refuse to be ruled by that nasty voice in your head called Mother's Guilt. You know that one that says you don't feed them the right foods, read enough to them, spend hours making paper mache animals with them, toilet train them fast enough, allow them to watch too much TV and so on and so on and so on for the rest of your life.

Well I'm taking a stand and are following the Celines and Celestes (and all fathers I know of) by trying as hard as possible to kill off or at least turn down the volume on my "voice." I am just being the parent I am - the great bits, the not so wonderful and the cheese on toast for dinner at least one a week me!

No comments:

Post a Comment